I know I have been posting a lot of recipes lately, but it’s fall, and I love to cook when the weather turns colder! I found a recipe in a cookbook (“The Best Gluten-free Family Cookbook” by Donna Washburn & Heather Butt) for a triple threat mocha chocolate chip cookie. It was quite good, but I really didn’t want to use some of the ingredients. So, I changed it to more of what I consider healthful for my family and to suit my personal taste preferences. I am still playing with the recipe to get some different tastes, but here is the basic one, adapted from the one in the cookbook.
Chocolate & Molasses Dream Cookies
- 1 cup sorghum flour
- 2/3 cup amaranth flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca starch
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. guar gum
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 4 oz. semi-sweet baking chocolate squares
- 2/3 cup butter
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 1 Tbsp. instant coffee granules
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup raw sugar
- 1/4 cup black-strap molasses
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- In a large bowl combine sorghum, amaranth, and topioca flour, baking soda, guar gum, salt, and cocoa.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, melt butter, water, coffee granules, and baking chocolate squares, stirring constantly.
- In another large bowl, mix eggs, raw sugar, molasses, and vanilla. Stir in the chocolate mixture, then slowly stir in the flour mixture until just combined. Add the chocolate chips, then allow to sit for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper and drop cookie dough by spoonfulls spaced 2-inches apart. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Cookies will look slightly soft still, but will harden as they cool. Immediately remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. Do not over-bake!
I plan to try orange zest in these, and like adding chopped nuts or seeds. If you don’t like the flavor of amaranth flour, use pea flour instead. I also think a little hazelnut liquor would be awesome in place of the vanilla, or some orange liquor. (the alcohol cooks out, leaving the flavor). Some coconut would be good too. So many ideas!!!! Make them and share your results with the rest of us!