Soap Nuts: Can you eat them?

Yesterday we had cause to ask “Can you eat soap nuts?”. Yep.  I was taking a nap and hubby came and frantically woke me. He was holding a jar with an amber liquid, which I quickly identified as my soap nut washing liquid. It turns out he guzzled *drank* some of it thinking it was the new kombucha I have been making. That’s what I get for not labeling, sigh… less sleep~

Anyway, back to the original question. Hubby has drank the liquid from the soap nuts and his throat is burning; in fact, anything touched by the stuff was burning! His throat felt tight too, so we jumped on the computer to find out how bad this was going to be. It turns out there is very little info on ingesting soap nuts, probably because who in their right mind would eat the things? We did find out it wasn’t going to kill him, but that it would be painful. We couldn’t find any info on poison control or how to treat (you know, sometimes you give milk, sometimes you make them vomit, etc?) so going on the assumption that as bad as it hurt going down vomiting it up would probably not be a good idea, I poured hubby a glass of milk to help coat his insides and lessen the burning. It helped a bit, but definitely was not something he would wish to repeat. A while later he said he was peeing bubbles like crazy 😉

So, my advice to you is label your soap nut liquid and do not ingest it, and please keep it out of reach of small children as hubby said it smelled kind of “fruity” to him and okay to drink. You can call poison control too. The milk did help my husband, but a doctor would be the one to advise you on treatment, not me.

Advertisements

About nigerianmeadows

I am a homeschooling mother of 2 autistic children and cook gluten-free, I homestead on 2.5 acre and raise goats and chickens for dairy and eggs, I garden, cook, quilt, and take photographs. I build, paint, scrub, and dance on tables. I am the ultimate WOMAN!!! Oh, yeah, and I like my husband a whole lot (he is the one that makes all this possible, and he loves me like no other!)
This entry was posted in Family and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Soap Nuts: Can you eat them?

  1. LindaG says:

    Assuming one could find a doctor with the sense to know what soap nuts were. (Remembering that I don’t know any holistic doctors.)

    The only thing I might have added, would be something like… pepto bismol or Prilosec (Sorry, don’t know enough about natural medicines) to help stop the burning.

    Gosh, I am so glad he will be okay!

    • Haha, yeah, your right!

    • Gabriel says:

      I would say no to adding those indigestion aides due to you don’t know if there would be a chemical reaction!! Could relieve OR make situation worse….. Milk sounds about right to coating it and helping flush it out of system.
      I know in soap making we use Apple Cider Vinegar to neutralize the acid burn I wonder (I don’t know) if it would have worked…….

  2. Shar says:

    The other antidote for somethings is “medicinal” grade charcoal. You were VERY right that you do NOT want to regurgitate anything that burns going down as it will worsen the injury coming up and could end up in the nasal passages.The charcoal is the type that you buy from the pharmamcy and NOT for the grill!

    He might also want to drink cranberry juice a couple times a day the next several days to help stabelize his bladder and kidney tissues.

    IF you have the charcoal, I’d advise giving him some.

    HTH!
    Shar/Menagenary Farm

  3. Samantha Wooton says:

    i drank it out Oh my goodness this exact same thing just happened to me down to the fact that I drank it out of a Kambucha bottle. The only difference is that I was the unfortunate one who drank it (I was half asleep.) Let me tell you, IT HURTS SO BAD. I can really talk because my throat hurts so bad. Im not really sure what I should do. Its good to know that someone else survived this though!

    • I’m so sorry to hear you drank them! Ouch! If it wasn’t very much your probably fine. Drink some milk to sooth the linings in your esophagus and tummy. I hope your feeling better soon!

  4. kiers says:

    OMG how did you make the liquid? boiling the soapnuts? use as shampoo?

  5. anand says:

    Hi, in china they make soup with soapnuts but after soaking overnight and adding ginger and logan and dates….i am planning to try it since soapnuts kill bad bacteria in the body.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s