Yesterday we had cause to ask “Can you eat soap nuts?”. Yep. I was taking a nap and hubby came and frantically woke me. He was holding a jar with an amber liquid, which I quickly identified as my soap nut washing liquid. It turns out he
guzzled *drank* some of it thinking it was the new kombucha I have been making. That’s what I get for not labeling, sigh… less sleep~
Anyway, back to the original question. Hubby has drank the liquid from the soap nuts and his throat is burning; in fact, anything touched by the stuff was burning! His throat felt tight too, so we jumped on the computer to find out how bad this was going to be. It turns out there is very little info on ingesting soap nuts, probably because who in their right mind would eat the things? We did find out it wasn’t going to kill him, but that it would be painful. We couldn’t find any info on poison control or how to treat (you know, sometimes you give milk, sometimes you make them vomit, etc?) so going on the assumption that as bad as it hurt going down vomiting it up would probably not be a good idea, I poured hubby a glass of milk to help coat his insides and lessen the burning. It helped a bit, but definitely was not something he would wish to repeat. A while later he said he was peeing bubbles like crazy 😉
So, my advice to you is label your soap nut liquid and do not ingest it, and please keep it out of reach of small children as hubby said it smelled kind of “fruity” to him and okay to drink. You can call poison control too. The milk did help my husband, but a doctor would be the one to advise you on treatment, not me.