Well, here goes; I need a counter top for the new cabinet beside our stove. I researched concrete counter tops and they seem really nice, but I didn’t have the stuff needed and it will be a big outlay of money, so I decided to start with stuff I tore out of the house and other things I had on hand. Thus, the butcher-block counter top was begun!
I started off with 2×4’s I ripped out when I took the laundry room wall down. I tried to pick ones that had the fewest nail holes and that were fairly smooth and still fit the lengths I needed. Then I used Liquid Nails® and pipe clamps to put them together. I really wished I had a joiner, and even looked to see if the guy across the street who builds cabinets was around and would let me use one, but no dice. After gluing it all together I wiped off excess glue. At this point there were very uneven edges, and middle boards wanted to rise a bit in a slight arc. I pounded them down and decreased the clamp pressure a tad bit and it was better. After an hour of drying I brought out the wood plane and started leveling the surface. This is done by feel. Close your eyes and run your hand over the wood; you will feel the dips and rises, even though you can’t see them. I planed each area until it was fairly smooth and level, though the knots are not cutting down and will take some sanding to get right.
This morning I unclamped the counter top and set it on the cabinet to see how it looked; I like it!